Friday, May 4, 2012

Music to my ears

Last night we were lucky enough to be invited to the Eben Hopson Middle School band concert. The program consisted of one band for each grade within the school (6th, 7th, and 8th).

It was fun to see our students perform. I have 20 of the students from the 7th grade band in my classes. Some of them were dressed up for the performance while others where wearing their hooded sweatshirts and jeans. There were a lot of parents, grandparents, elders and teachers there to support the students. And their performances were extremely impressive considering the amount of experience they had. The sixth grade band only played as a whole once thirty minutes before the concert began! The students were so excited to see us and I got many comments today about my presence there yesterday. I'm glad that we could all go and support these students while we are here. It made the late night of homework last night worth it that just one of my students appreciated that I came to the performance.

It brought me back to my own middle school band concerts and all of the years I enjoyed performing in the band. I hope that these students stick with band through middle school and even high school. It's such a powerful and positive experience I hope all students get the chance to have. The sizes of the band dropped drastically from one grade to the next which left me fairly discouraged for members continuing through high school.


Unfortunately, we are unable to take pictures to show you today, but it was an amazing show.

No comments:

Post a Comment