Monday, May 7, 2012

Daytime all the time!

This is a picture I just took.  It's 10:45 PM.  The sun gets a little bit lower in the sky, but at this point basically just circles around us.  This really messes with the kids, and the adults in town.  The kids stay up all the time and never realize they should go to bed.  Then they fall asleep in class.  I had one student who I was UNABLE TO WAKE UP!!! He just conked out during class.  Woke up about 30 minutes later and started taking notes like it was not big deal.  It messes with our systems too.  Last night when we built our Cinco de Mayo snowfort, we kept working and had no idea that we finished about 10pm.  It's so hard to tell with the constant sunlight.

For sleeping, I wake up and generally have no idea what time it is.  My room, though it has dark curtains, is still almost light enough for me to read all night.  I combat this by being ABSOLUTELY EXHAUSTED by 7th and 8th graders everyday.  The constant light really hasn't bothered any of us too much, it's actually kind of cool for it to be light out until we go to bed, nighttime will be a bit of a shock when we arrive home I think.

In other news, we had the first blue sky day in about 2 weeks here in Barrow.  Did you know Barrow is one of the most cloudy cities in the US?   I'm excited about the sun today because it makes for better photography.  I went skiing out on the ice today with Deb.  Went to take a picture and my camera said "No memory, unable to record"  Me, being the genius that I am, forgot my memory card in my computer.  Thankfully Deb saved the day and took pictures for me.  I'll blog about that later, when I get the pictures to show you, it was an experience that cannot be told with just words.

Anyway, it's late, I'm sleepy, and I have rambunctious middle schoolers to teach tomorrow.

Stay warm,

Peter

p.s. Mom and Dad, you'll be excited to know that I haven't seen any Nanuqs, but I happen to be kind of bummed about that one.  If I get chased, I plan to hand him a Coca-cola, that seems to make them much happier and docile.  (Nanuq = Polar bear)

No comments:

Post a Comment