Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Taking a test I don't know the answers to

Coming into this placement at this time of the year feels like taking a test I don't know the answers to. For multiple reasons. I have no idea what my students already know or are capable of, with high school it was different basic math skill are to be expected and I remember learning things in high school and, for the most part which order they came in. It's been a long time since I've been in 7th grade. I also am very aware that I have classes that although the students are in the same grade, they can't be expected to do the same warm-ups. We didn't get the chance to learn as much from observing here because by Friday of week one we were all teaching at least one, if not more classes. It's a learning curve and sometime I push them too far and sometimes not enough.

Classroom management has become more of an issue as well. Students are excited for school to be done and want to see what they can get away with when there is a new face in front of the class. I want to have the same expectations that their teacher has for them but I don't know what all of her expectations are! It's been interesting to try and pass these tests the students are giving me each hour when I never had a chance to study.

I learn each day what I should and shouldn't be expecting from my students and by the end of this week I feel like I will have a really good idea of what my students can handle, both with content and with my expectations.




No comments:

Post a Comment